Monday, February 23, 2009

The Little Things

As much as my job drives me crazy, it is the little things that really make working at CVS worthwhile. It seems like as soon as I have a chance to take a sip of my [now cold] coffee, a new influx of customers come in or there is some crisis to attend to. Then there are the angry and impatient customers that can really test my patience. I actually had a dream last night where I lost it and told off a customer at drive-thru lol. And then there is my perfectionism that always seems to whisper that if I make a mistake I will be fired.

But, like I said, it is the little things that really make everything worthwhile.

Yesterday, the lead tech thanked me for all my help and told me I was doing a really good job and learning pretty quickly. It really meant a lot to me. I requested not to work on Sundays because I usually am helping out with the youth at church and in the evening I have an APO meeting. So working yesterday afternoon meant I had to go straight from church to work (I usually go home to see my family and hang out for a little bit) and I had to miss initiation of the new pledges.

Some other things that make work worth it:
-When it is quiet and I get to just count pills for an extended period of time (I know, I am such a dork...I love counting pills).
-Learning the generic names for brand name drugs and vice-versa (I know...total nerd!)
-Being able to learn a new skill that makes me a more competent technician.
-When someone thanks me for helping after my shift is over.
-Having the opportunity to make small-talk and relate to customers
-On Valentines day, this really sweet couple who had been married for 54 years came in and I could just tell they were still in love.
-One time, I was talking to this cute but kind of socially awkward kid and was relating to him about his medication and he bought a Hershey's bar and told me to share it with everyone in the pharmacy because we were working hard and looked tired.
-Just talking to the other technicians and pharmacists about their lives.

1 comment:

ambivalence said...

it's good to have lists like this. maybe i should make one.

i like counting things, too. i count pennies.